The demand for commercial truck drivers in Louisiana offers ample career opportunities for those who want a stable career and enjoy the open road. Anyone that drives commercially must have a valid CDL license. If you are planning to be a commercial truck driver in Louisiana, you’ll have to know how to get a Commercial Driver’s license. At DDA, we can provide the training you’ll need to get your Class A CDL.
Requirements for Getting a CDL
- Drivers must be 18 years old to commercially drive within Louisiana or 21 years old (at the time of graduation) to become an OTR long-haul driver.
- CDL drives must possess a valid, personal driver’s license for more than one year
- You must be able to pass a DOT physical, including hearing and visions tests for color blindness, at least 20/40 vision with eyeglasses, and at least 70 degrees field of vision.
Additionally, ensure you get this documentation ready:
- Proof of Louisiana address
- Proof of your citizenship such as a birth certificate or certification of naturalization
The CDL training programs at DDA will prepare you to take the written CDL exam and road tests. Each program is an entry-level program, meaning no previous driving experience is required to enroll. We can assist with obtaining your Commercial License Permit, as well as your final Class A license with endorsements. You’ll practice and prepare for the CDL knowledge test, the CDL endorsement tests, and the CDL driving skills test.
At DDA, we specialize in Class A CDL training and have bee teaching students to safely drive commercial tractor trailers (semi trucks/18-wheelers) since 1972. Our programs and classroom work are regularly updated to meet or exceed current industry standards. Our current training campuses are located in
Job placement assistance is available to each student at DDA, no matter which program you are enrolled in. Recruiters from national and local companies regularly visit our campuses for presentations on starting your trucking career. Once you have completed your CDL training with us, and have obtained your Louisiana Commercial Driver’s License, you’ll move on to training with your new employer before hitting the open road as a solo driver.
For more information on enrolling in our commercial driving school and preparing to obtain your Louisiana Commercial Driver’s License, give us a call today! 1-800-551-8900
This article was originally published in 2017 and has been updated for 2019.